Insomnia or Sleep Problems are more common that you might think.
One of the most common requests we have as hypnotists is for assistance with sleep disorders or insomnia. There are so many effective and efficient ways in which to overcome these types of problems through hypnosis that success can be as easy as inducing the hypnotic state and delivering your favorite suggestions for healthy, rejuvenating sleep. But there are many simple things a person can do to assist in the process of achieving fulfilling rest. Following are the top 10 simple, yet effective, things you can do to reduce sleep problems or insomnia.
- Be Consistent – Going to bed and rising at the same time every day strengthens your internal clock. It will establish a habit of achieving sleep at regular times.
- Everything in Moderation – No matter how good it might feel to lie in bed for as long as possible, too much of a good thing is not good. Long periods spent in bed can lead to shallow and fragmented sleep.
- Get the Lead Out – Research shows that regular daily exercise promotes deeper more restorative sleep. Even light exercise such as a daily walk is very beneficial, just make sure not to exercise right before bedtime. It takes time to wind down from activity.
- Keep Your Cool – When the heat rises over 75 degrees it can lead to less REM sleep and more periods of waking. Cold rooms are no better; the ideal temperate for restful sleep is between 68 and 72 degrees.
- Let Them Eat Cake – Research shows that a light snack before turning in for the night tends to aid sleep. Be aware that heavy meals though will interfere with restful sleep.
- What the Doctor Ordered – On occasion, a sleep aid, whether over-the-counter or prescribed may be helpful, but be aware that regular use of sleep aids may promote dependency and actually increase problems. Use them only as a last resort.
- No Java Jive, No Butts About It – Cut out caffeine in the evening. Plain and simple, it disturbs sleep. Caffeine can be found in coffee, tea, colas, chocolate and many other sources so be aware. Tobacco use also disturbs sleep. If you are a smoker, consider hypnosis to free yourself of that old habit, but until you do, stay away from tobacco in the evenings.
- One for the Road – Cut out the nightcaps. While alcohol sometimes helps people fall asleep faster, the resulting chemically induced sleep is disrupted when the effects of alcohol begin to wear off.
- The Sound of Silence – People who sleep through anything can also have their sleep disrupted by noise or unusual sounds. Not waking up does not mean your sleep is not disturbed. Create an atmosphere insulated from outside sound or get a white noise machine to mask sounds. Even a small fan in the room can be effective.
- Kiss and Make Up – Never go to bed angry. Going to bed with work or worry on your mind is the perfect way to lose sleep. Always find time to resolve your day or clear your mind before you turn out the lights for the night. This is the perfect time to practice your self-hypnosis or listen to a relaxation recording.